Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I change the rear wheel bearings on a 2002 Ford F-150?

I have had a whining/growling noise from the rear end, and now there is a clunking noise when i hit a bump, or uneven pavement. I apologize for my ignorance....I don't have a bunch of money for repairs, alimony gets that. I am trying to figure this out and make the repairs on my own in the interest of saving $$. Any help would be greatly appreciated.How do I change the rear wheel bearings on a 2002 Ford F-150?
To change bearinge on the rear of a F150. Without the proper special tools, there is no easy way. You have two bearings on each side. The outter is pressed on the axle shaft. It has to be cut off with a tore. and a new one pressed pressed back on. The inner bearing are pressed into the axle housing. You need a bearing pull rig set up to pull them. And bearing seat tool reinstall them. You hap to pull the race as well. Take the tire off. Take axle rear end cover off. Us 10mm wench to remove the locking pine shaft. Then the locking clips. one per axle. The pull the axle out from the side. You will need a heavy duty silehammper with axle puller to do this. That the easy part. Now is when the inner and out races and inner bearing hap to come out. Here is were you need puller and a tore to heat or cut the races out.

Sorry but is best left to the shops with the tools. The noise could be the rear end or the tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment