Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How can I make my rollerblades faster?

I have a cheap pair of rollerblades that I bought so I could get some exercise but they are really really slow and difficult to use. My old pair was much easier. Should I change out the bearings? Should I change out the wheels? Should I use an oil/lube cleaner? Also, do I need the wheel spacers? Would taking these out make them any faster? It's not even fun to rollerblade on these slow things - they feel like the little kid skates you put on over their shoes!How can I make my rollerblades faster?
The abec rating is not a measurement of how well bearings roll. It is a measurement of stability for use in high speed machinery. It has nothing to do with skates and some of the fastest skate bearings don't meet any abec rating.

Unless the bearing is heavily greased, it will have minimal effect on speed. Many really cheap skates come with heavily greased bearings because they will not need maintenance for a long time. If you clean out the grease they will roll better.



The wheels will make a much larger difference than the bearings. Even the wheels that come with the brand name skates tend to be poor except at the high end. The wheels that come with cheap skates are even lower quality.

I just replaced the 90mm wheels on my girlfriend's skates (intermediate level from Rollerblade) with 84a Zero Drag Racing wheels and she was amazed at the difference. www.rollerbob.com/cat-10.html (individual wheels), www.rollerbob.com/A08.html (kits with wheels %26amp; bearings). The other hardnesses on that page don't roll quite as fast but have other attributes that fit some people better.

If your skates will not accept 80mm wheels, you can ask him for recommendations. Bob is honest and will steer you to a cheaper wheel if it fits you better. He is a local vendor where I live and I know a lot of people who like the ';purple'; zero drag wheels.



Go for as large of wheel as your skate allows. Many cheap skate come with wheels that are smaller than will fit. Larger wheel roll better than small.

The usual places to look to see if larger wheels will fit are - the gap between the wheels, the space above the wheel under the ball of the foot (lowest spot in the boot), and the gap between the rear wheel and the brake.How can I make my rollerblades faster?
I dont know if there a professional brand like anarchy or salamon but if they are rollerblades come with set bearings measured in what I think ar ecalled ';abec'; the smaller the abec the faster they are lowest iv had were ABEC 2 which were pretty loose no friction at all :/

No comments:

Post a Comment