Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Are all automobile motor mounts created equal?

The motor mount on my 88 Mazda 323 (front side) has gone out. It hasn't broken yet, but the rubber insides have deteriorated. SO, the motor has started to jump on me a little bit.



I've checked prices at the local major retailers (AutoZone, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc.) and found prices seem to be between $80-$90 for a replacement aftermarket part. After looking online, though, I have found onlin retailers with prices as low as $35! Should I trust the manufacturers or these less expensive mounts, or is this too good to be true?



On a side note, how hard is to change a motor mount? I can change my wheel bearings or tweak my engine with little difficulty, so I'm no novice. However, if this is major surgery (like trying to change a head gasket), I think I might leave it to a shop.Are all automobile motor mounts created equal?
no, mounts are usually all the same, with the exception of performance parts. The pricing usually reflects if the part was made in the U.S., japan or china and what brand name is attached to it. Motor mounts are relatively easy to replace, all you really need is a jacking device to take the load off the mount to ease removal and installation.Are all automobile motor mounts created equal?
first off motor mounts are created equal in the amount that they all hold the motor to the frame, as to which motor def not
I'm not familiar with your car. However, you can probably get the Haynes manual to show you what you need to do. Most of the time it involves supporting the engine with a piece of wood between a floor jack and the oil pan. Then you take off the old mount, insert the new mount, and you're done. You might see if you can just get the internal rubber parts.



it generally requires a torque wrench, and the level of difficulty is essentially how hard it is to get to the bolts of the motor mount.
All motor mounts ARE NOT CREATED EQUALL! Get some good ones, preferably from your Mazda dealer.

If you have some mechanical experience, this should not be too much of a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment