Friday, November 19, 2010

How do you change a worn wheel bearing on a 2003 Suburban?

My original question was ';What's causing a roaring noise on my Suburban;'; but my question was answered with a similar question. So now that I know it's a worn wheel bearing, my question is ';How do you change the wheel bearing?'; I've always done most of my vehicle maintenance, including changing the oil, belt(s), hoses, thermostat, etc. (basic things). Now I think I would like to tackle the bearings. If someone can give me a little guidance, it would be appreciated. How do you change a worn wheel bearing on a 2003 Suburban?
Front or Rear?



The front, you need to punch out the bearing races and pound in the new ones, easy but takes time. There are areas inside that will allow you to get in a punch.



The rear you'll need to pull the shaft and take it to a mechanic to have the old one pressed off and the new one pressed on.



As mentioned before, getting a manual is your first priority. If you don't have one by now, how can you do your own maintenance?How do you change a worn wheel bearing on a 2003 Suburban?
If you know how to do a brake job, you can tackle the job yourself. You may want to get yourself a repair manual if you have not replace the brake before. There are two bearings on each wheel. Since it is a 2003, it may have a seal bearing and must replace the whole hub assembly and could get a little costly. You'll just have to go visit your local auto part store and they'll be able to tell what you have.



Auto Zone advertised that they'll print out directions on how to install the parts they sell. That maybe the best start for ya.
go to car parts store and get a manual, chiltons or haynes manual on your make and model of your car, it will tell u everything and u can go step by step with it and even have pictures to help you

it is worth every penny

go get one now
is it a sealed wheel bearing.if it is change the wheel hub.

No comments:

Post a Comment