Sunday, November 21, 2010

How Unusual for wheel bearings to fall out of my mini van?

I was parked in a parking lot, pulled back out of the spot and heard this terrible crunching like I was driving over something metal. A man was walking toward me and said a ball bearing just fell out of my mini van ( a Chrysler Town %26amp; Country 2005).

Could not move the car forward or back a good samaritan help push it back in the spot found 3 more ball bearings ( or wheel bearings?)

Called to have it towed, will find out the damage tomorrow.

How unusual is this to happen, no noise or problems just before the bearing fell out, was driving fine. I have 31,000 miles on the car, get the oil changed every 3,000 miles. In fact was in getting oil changed at 30,000 miles, should the mechanic been able to see this problem?

I've just never heard of this happening before. I hope its covered under warranty since I haven't had it 3 years and its under 36,000 miles but I don't know for sure.

Any info on this would be welcomed.

CMHow Unusual for wheel bearings to fall out of my mini van?
Relax, you are 100% covered by the 3 year/36k warranty, it wont cost you a cent. It is very unusual for 31k, sounds like the inner cv joint went out. Take it back to the dealer and they will fix it for no charge.How Unusual for wheel bearings to fall out of my mini van?
thats unusual , the bearings cant fall out unless a big nut is unscrewed
very unusual for that to happen. Are you talking about the wheel bearings?
Well sometimes with kids and a radio you may not have heard the early warning sounds. Been a mechanic for 35 years, only seen this happen three or four times, but it happens. Unless you have an exceptional warranty I don't think it will be covered. Some people that change oil don't drive the vehicle long enough to here a problem such as this one. Sorry! no good news.
That vehicle has unit bearings that are the sealed type. If the wheel bearing gave up that bad, you would not be able to push it . Probably the CV joint gave up. Should be covered under warranty. Did you hear any clicking noises while making a sharp, slow speed turn? That's an indicator of the CV joint going bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment