Sunday, November 21, 2010

Help, Is this a bad CV shaft causing the problem? Or is it transmission, clutch, bearings, shifter,..?

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS w/ 89k miles. I was driving up north and there was a huge dip in the road, huge. I didnt see it until the last second and ended up hitting it at 60 MPH. My GF hit her head on the ceiling and I think the car actually may have gotten off the ground. I drove it home a few days later after i was done up north, and put it in the garage, to scared to drive it. Started it the other day, and it whined in neutral some, and starting to in more gears. I thought low tranny fluid so I changed it myself. While the car was on the jack, I started it in neutral, and the wheel spins in neutral. It will stop spinning though as soon as i push down on the clutch. as soon as i take it off though, boom, spins up again. Car WILL NOT move when in gear. While I was under the car changing the fluid, I noticed that the innner CV boot was torn to hell and no grease AT ALL left in it. Anyone tell me more about how to check linkages, I have heard linkage problem is possible also! Thanks!Help, Is this a bad CV shaft causing the problem? Or is it transmission, clutch, bearings, shifter,..?
Dear Spirited Driving Experience-



I would say that you might have a clutch issue. If you hit as hard as you say you did then you might have damaged the T/O Bearing and some other parts in the clutch. But you also state that you were able to drive it home.



Well that tells me a couple of things. First is that you may have actually destroyed the clutch coming home. Especially if it will not go into gear now.



But I think that you have some more work to do to and that could involve getting a new transaxle, (transmission) for your car.



As for the CV Shaft, my advise to you is to replace both of them at the same time. When one goes, the other is shortly following. So start with a pair of remanufactured ones and you should be good to go there.



However its going to be the clutch and possible transmission work that concerns me.



My suggestion is to have the car towed down you your local Import Shop or over to Mistubishi and let them have a good look.



If my instincts are correct, you may have also damaged some of the syncronizers in the transmission. These are the parts that actually put the car into gear to make it move when you release the clutch



They are little brass star looking rings that slide back and forth on the shafts in the transmission. If the little teeth on them get damaged the car will not go into gear, or it may get locked there and they will get stripped out



Because of the special tools that are needed for manual transmission work, I would really suggest that you have a transmission shop or Mitsubishi have a look at it.



Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that helps you out!Help, Is this a bad CV shaft causing the problem? Or is it transmission, clutch, bearings, shifter,..?
Is it an automatic or manual?
clutch issue...............

No comments:

Post a Comment