Sunday, November 21, 2010

How hard is it to change the fork seals on a 2005 YZ 125?

I'm not the best mechanic but I'd like to learn how to change the seals myself since this is the 3rd time the seal is leaking and the closest shop is an hr away and charges pretty good. What tools do I need, I know I'm going to have to pick up a torque wrench and a fork wrench and I've already got the suspension fluid but anyways again I'm 19 and I know how to replace steering bearings and put a new piston and rings and such in a bike so you think this would be a hard task?How hard is it to change the fork seals on a 2005 YZ 125?
If you can replace a piston and rings, then you should be able to replace the seals. The best thing you can do it to purchase a shop manual for your bike and then go for it.



With this being the third time the seal is leaking, it makes me believe that something else is going on with the fork.



I would not only replace the seals, but the upper and lower fork bushings as well. You can purchase a kit from pivot works.



What can happen with the fork is this...if there is slack from wear in the bushings, the fork leg can actually distort the fork seal to where fork oil can slip out past the seal, even if you have brand new seals. This sounds like what is going on with you.



Oh, and don't forget the ';best answer'; feature on each question you asked ...thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment