Sunday, November 21, 2010

Are my tires out of alignment or do I need new bearings?

OK, I have a 97 Civic EX. I've owned it for about a year now, and the previous owner took very little care of the car. The front wheels were worn to the wire (while the back tires still looked almost new), and he blew the engine because he never changed the oil.



Since I've gotten the car, in addition to having the engine rebuilt, I've had to put in a new slave cylinder, a new battery, new front tires, and of course keeping the oil changed.



For the last little while (maybe 3-5 months), when I drive on the highway at higher speeds (55+) I notice the front end shaking a lot. I also hear a repetitive medium-pitched whirr coming from the tires, that is in sync with the shaking.



Given what I have told you, does it sound like out of alignment wheels or bad bearings? My grandfather who really knows nothing about cars says bad bearings, but I'm thinking it's alignment since the previous owner took very poor care of the car and the two tires I bought are still on the front, they haven't been rotated. Year-old tires on the front, who knows how old tires on the back.



The car has about 92k miles.



Thanks!Are my tires out of alignment or do I need new bearings?
New tires that shake at certain speeds are generally out of balance, or out of round. Take the car to a shop that does front end alignment and tell them about everything you have in the third paragraph. A competent front end technician will know how to check for tires being out of round, out of balance, and bad wheel hubs. Just don't take it back to the place that sold you the tires. They will tell you there is nothing wrong with the tires.Are my tires out of alignment or do I need new bearings?
alignment does not shake it wil pull left or right shake most like tire out of balance or brake rotors warp but then you hear a whirl then could be bearing really if you been driving it pass 3 to 5 months like that your not doing a great job taking care of it either
Well, it cannot hurt to take it to a wheel alignment shop. It is like not going to cost a fortune. They will also be able to determine where the shaking is coming from(or the reason for it) If they say your wheels need balancing - they don't do that stuff so you take it elsewhere. But your steering shock may be hooped. They will be able to see that and replace it as well. You may have worn steering parts which the wheel alignment people can see as well and advise as well as to the costs of that. If it is a bearing thing, they also know that stuff too. Go to a specialty wheel alignment shop to get the job done right. Joe's garage just does not cut it.
I don't think it is the bearings. Bad Wheel bearings usually cause more of a grinding noise.

The first thing I would do is get an alignment. That seems to be you problem.
bad strut
You balanced the front tires when you installed them, right? Ok, anything here will be guesses, so take it in to a shop and have a complete suspension check, and alignment check. That will normally identify repairs needed.



Could be bearings, ball joints, struts, tie rod ends, steering rack etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment