Friday, November 19, 2010

Does a problem with water pump bearings mean the water pump and timing belt needs to be replaced?

My '06 camry 4cylinder with 66K miles has been making a slight rumblings noise since Sunday. Leaving work today, I thought the car was going to die because the noise was very loud and persisted as I pressed on the gas. I had to go on the freeway and stayed to the right for fear that something would happen. It was weird but at some points on the freeway there was no noise at all and I could pick up speed to reach home. As I was getting an oil change yesterday, the technician stated that it sounds like a problem with my water pump bearings. The noise is coming from the area that has a belt spinning.



I don't want to get preyed on because I'm a woman with no obvious knowledge about cars. If its the water pump bearings will I need a new pump? Although its recommended to change the timing belt at the same time do I HAVE to? Any idea what the best case scenario (low cost) and worst case scenario for this is? How much time does one have to address this? A friend knows a mechanic 35 minutes away but im scared to drive that far and destroy the engine or something.I also have to get my transmission serviced and I'm seeing this car job costing 700+ due to the mention of timing belt. Any info about this would really be appreciate.Does a problem with water pump bearings mean the water pump and timing belt needs to be replaced?
Was it a loud high pitched noise or just a screeching noise? If it was a loud high pitched noise then it is your water pump and although it is not necessary to replace the timing belt because of the water pump, I would highly advise because:

1. Yes, in most cases you have to take off the timing belt in order to get to the water pump and it would only cost a few dollars more.

2. Your vehicle already has over 60K mi and if you look in your owner's manual it will state in the maintenance section to change the timing belt at this point.

However, given the mileage, I would think it a little unlikely that it is the water pump.

If the noise is just a screeching noise, get a can of Belt Dressing from and auto parts store and spray it on the inside of the serpentine belt (the belt that runs the alternator and other accessories) to see if that quiets the noise. You know what, on second thought, scratch that. I'm guessing it has never been replaced. Take your car to an auto parts store and have them look at the car, more specifically the serpentine belt. They can tell you what's wrong with the car. I'm guessing the serpentine belt or the power steering pump is low in fluid.Does a problem with water pump bearings mean the water pump and timing belt needs to be replaced?
uhhhhh i've never heard of changing a timing belt with changing a water pump so i'd say no to the timing belt. your timing belt keeps your engine valves, ignition synchronized it has nothing to do with the cooling system. best case do it yourself and prices all depend on the car. on my car which i did myself cost me around 35 dollars. worst case going to a toyota dealer and paying somewhere between 100-200 dollars for the part and maybe more for the labor. the timing belt is not the issue if the bearings are going out in a water pump UNLESS for some reason toyota decided to interconnect both things. but i doubt it. go to a different mechanic to get a diagnosis. Do not be pressured into buying anything.
No you don't have to. But;If you don't you may be paying more as you will have to pay for the same work again later. Best case is to change the belt now and be able to drive worry-free. If you aren't leaking anti-freeze yet; you can drive it to repair shop. But I would stay as much to the side roads as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment