Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Blade spindle problems on riding mower?

My 3 bladed riding mower was making a grinding sound when the blades are engaged. I took off the deck and spun each blade by hand. 2 spun freely and quietly, the 3rd one made a grinding sound and took some force to spin it. I removed the spindle from the deck, and now the spindle seems to turn freely with no noise. Should I just put it back in or should I replace the bearings in the spindle. I removed the spindle this morning before coming to work and haven't had a chance to look any closer at it. How difficult is it to change the spindle bearings? Do I need a press?Blade spindle problems on riding mower?
personally i would change the bearings in all three spindles.Blade spindle problems on riding mower?
If you put it back on, as soon as you put a load on it, it will make noise again. I have been able to drive the shaft out of my sears tractor spindle to replace the bearings. You will have to remove the pulley as the shaft will go out the bottom. Again on the sears spindles the upper and lower bearings are different sizes so once you get them out check the sizes. The bearing will tap out of the spindle. I would change the bearing in the one that is bad and leave the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment