Friday, November 19, 2010

I have problem with the back tyres of my 2003 NISSA XTERRA. They are chopping and wearing.?

The back tyres chop. I was told that it could be due to the bearings wearing. I changed all the bearings at the back but could not still get alignment for the back tyres. There are no provissions for adjustment for alignment. I have lost two tyres due to this. Please how can I solve this problem. I am worried as I have not been able to use the car because of this. I love the car but that is my problem. I need help. Thanks. AnietieBI have problem with the back tyres of my 2003 NISSA XTERRA. They are chopping and wearing.?
Check the alignment. Even if you can't adjust it (I really doubt that BTW) you can eliminate or confirm alignment as the cause of the problem.



If the alignment is OK, have a go at the shock absorbers. I have seen shocks cause some very odd tire wear.



Good Luck. Problems like this can drive you crazy.I have problem with the back tyres of my 2003 NISSA XTERRA. They are chopping and wearing.?
I'd take it back to the garage that did the bearings and tell them its not made it any better. Ask them to check the axle/chassis and also the steering column. Sounds like the tracking isn't right to me, as well but they could be the cause of the problem.
rear end suspension needs some alignment and/or shocks
If it was your bearings you would have alot more problems than just wear on your tires. your alinement is off. All car are able to be alined. take it to another garage.
The tires are facing a few dilemmas...



1. Too light in the rear

2. Weak struts (shock absorbers)

3. Infrequent tire rotation



The choppy wear pattern comes from oscillations in downward force on the tire... bouncing. Stiffer shock aborbing struts should dampen out the oscillations and provide better tire wear. Weak springs attribute to this problem as well.



Have somebody drive behind you while you take the car on a drive offering various speeds... be sure to pick normal roads that aren't perfect but can offer a few bumps or dips here and there. The tire could rotate just fine at 60 mph until it's pattern is upset by a bump... (I'm not talking about much of a bump here). The person watching your tires are looking for excessive bouncing or vibration... it doesn't have to be much. Does it look like a spinning top or is it a bit blurry looking? Blurry denotes vibration.



The tire compound may be too soft for your application as well. Yokohama Avid T4's have a great traction rating... in the 400's I believe. That would be a harder rubber compound and less prone to wear.



Good luck!
tire cupping is usually caused by tire balance and weak shocks/struts
I assume you mean that if your hand is run across the surface of the tire is is uneven or bumpy. this is caused by inadequate tire or underinflation. Either way tire cord is separating.

if you mean you can feel tires scrubbing during low speed turns look for a red sticker on the differential housing that says LSD. This means limited slip differential and you may have the wrong gear oil in rear end. there is no way to set the toe on a solid axle rear end and unless the housing is bent this should not be necessary.
your shocks need to be replaced. look in your owners manual and you will find my answer to be true. your maintenance guide will speak of this problem. also have a shop to align the rear

No comments:

Post a Comment