Saturday, November 13, 2010

How much is it to change front wheel bearings (both of them) for Toyota Camry 1996, 4 cylinder in Boston?

I recently moved to Boston and my car broke down. Mechanic told me that my front wheel bearings are gone and it will cost me $500 to fix them. A friend of mine from Atlanta did the same thing for twice cheaper in Atlanta. I was wondering if I am being overcharged or not.How much is it to change front wheel bearings (both of them) for Toyota Camry 1996, 4 cylinder in Boston?
You are being overcharged, but as with most big cities, if you can't do it yourself, then you have to pay someone to do it for you.

I show up to work every day with 60k worth of tools. If you bought the tools needed to do the job, and the parts, it would cost you about that much any way. The actual mechanic that repairs it (if it's not owner operated) will earn about $75.00, the rest goes to the garage owner. When choosing a repair facility, beware of people in clean white shirts. When you find your mechanic, keep him.

Remember him at Christmas (get him a card or something to eat) and you would be surprised with the results.

I am wondering about the actual repair..... I beleive that car is front wheel drive, and has floating (no wheel bearings) rotors.

There are rear wheel bearings, but maybe it's an error in communication/misunderstanding. I would look for another shop, and especially in the outlying neighborhoods Look at it this

way. I am a Native Rhode Islander,(now residing in Arizona) we may get cheaper auto repair, but try to get a good pizza, seafood, an Irish Bar, or a grinder out here. Next time , I will be asking you to send me some grub. Double check that repair with another garage, something doesn't sound right. Good LuckHow much is it to change front wheel bearings (both of them) for Toyota Camry 1996, 4 cylinder in Boston?
they need 2 b pressed out sorry
500 bucks for a 1 hour job. Really sad what's happening to auto repair prices.
Yep, those bearings can be a real pain. But, looking on the positive side, you probably won't ever have to replace them again.
Well, bearings are going to cost about $100-$150(each). if you buy them yourself, labor cost is about $200-$250. If you know somebody you can get it done cheaper. The job is not that hard if you are mech-inclined. Plus you need the tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment