Sunday, November 14, 2010

Scion XA 2004 how do I change my wheel bearings?

Probably about a couple months ago I developed a loud humming noise. It only happens while I am driving, the fast I go the louder it gets. I was told that it is probably my wheel bearings that need to be changed. I am wanting to know all that I will need inorder to replace them, how many wheel bearings are there, and how do I change them? PLease answer as detailed as possible. thank youScion XA 2004 how do I change my wheel bearings?
Unless you have a bunch of miles on the car, I doubt that is what is causing the problem. Take it to a shop and have a qualified mechanic check it out.Scion XA 2004 how do I change my wheel bearings?
If it is your wheel bearings, there are two per side, an inner and an outer. They are located on the hubs (the part your brake pads clamp to). If you have four wheel disc brakes, then you have eight total (4 inner, 4 outer). If you have disc in the front and drums in the back, then you have four total (2 inner, 2 outer) on the front discs. The bearings should be inexpensive, and you can buy grease for around $5. However, if you have never done this before, I would let a mechanic do it, because you have to pack the bearings (must know how to pack them or they will fail again soon), remove the old ones (without tearing up the hubs) reinstall the new ones (without tearing up the bearings), and tighten the hub just right. You have to make sure you don't put the hub back on too loose (your wheels will wobble and tear up the bearings) or too tight (the wheels won't turn and you'll eat up the bearings) as this can cause the bearings to fail again very quickly.



An easy way to check if it is your bearings is to take the bottom of your foot and push it against the left or right side of your tire, and then the top and bottom of the tire. If you hear or see movement, it could be the bearings, or it could be suspension related (tie rods, control arms, ball joints, etc.) You can also jack up the car, get under near the tire and move the tire back and forth from the top or bottom of the tire, and see if it moves. If only the hub moves, it is most likely your bearings, but if the hub doesn't move, it is probably something else.
you could find a forum that deals with scions and toyotas, you can get a bunch of info from them just look up scion forums
  • medium hair styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment